The Select Board, at its meeting on June 23, 2020, voted to establish the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee.
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee (DEIC) held its first meeting on October 8, 2020.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION COMMITTEE
The mission of the Sharon Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee is to foster a welcoming and inclusive community by encouraging cooperation and respect among all persons by advocating for the human and civil rights of all residents through understanding and eradicating barriers to equity and inclusion and promoting community awareness and understanding of cultural difference. While diversity is a demographic condition of our town, we mean to not only teach tolerance and respect for one another, but also to celebrate and embrace the traditions and values of the groups within our community. Inclusion is a core community value; we aspire to be a community characterized by the value of equality.
The Select Board, at its meeting on June 23, 2020, voted to establish the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee to advise the Select Board and other town boards on matters related to inclusion in programs and policies and to be instrumental in achieving both broad and specific goals reflective of a welcoming and inclusive community. In voting to establish this advisory committee, the Select Board condemns racism and discrimination in all its forms and commits to eradicating bias in the administration of policies and programs and in the recruitment and employment of staff.
The charge to and duties of the Sharon Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee include, but are not limited to, the following tasks:
- Embrace, support and promote the cultural richness of Sharon’s diversity as a critical element that characterizes a healthy and vibrant community.
- Provide a welcoming environment by encouraging cooperation among all residents and groups through community awareness, education, and outreach.
- Promote training for all elected and appointed officials and all Town and School employees that recognizes and works to eliminate unconscious or implicit bias in the implementation of programs and policies and in the actions of officials and employees.
- Foster civic engagement of all citizens with the goal of increasing participation of underrepresented groups in the governance of the Town as members of boards and committees and at town meeting.
- Ensure equitable access to resources, programs and opportunities for all residents.
- Suggest programs or activities that will promote a culture of mutual respect and equal treatment for all persons regardless of age, ethnicity, color, race, ancestry national origin, religious beliefs, mental or physical ability, gender, sexual orientation, or gender expression or identity.
- Be instrumental in the elimination of discriminatory barriers to employment, education, housing and other opportunities within the Town of Sharon and to suggest meaningful steps that will increase the diversity of the Town’s workforce to better reflect the demographic composition of the residents for whom employees serve.
The committee shall make reports to the Select Board of its activities at least three (3) times each fiscal year.
The committee shall be comprised of nine (9) voting members appointed by and serving at the pleasure of the Select Board who represent a cross-section of community organizations and individuals engaged in efforts to advance, promote and advocate for the human and civil rights of all persons through awareness and education. Committee members will be initially appointed to serve until June 30, 2021 such that:
- One (1) member shall be from among the members of the Sharon Pluralism Network;
- One (1) member shall be from among the members of the Sharon Interfaith Clergy Council;
- One (1) member shall be from among the members of the Sharon Racial Equity Alliance;
- One (1) member shall be an employee of the Sharon Police Department;
- Four (4) residents of the Town, one (1) of whom shall be a student between the ages of 16 and 19 years of age at the time of appointment and one (1) of whom shall be someone who is a member of the Sharon school community, such school community representative to be designated by the School Committee for appointment by the Select Board; and,
- One (1) member of the Select Board.