What is SPN?
The Sharon Pluralism Network, Inc. (SPN) is a collaboration among nine organizations and groups in Sharon that partner to support multicultural and interfaith understanding and engagement.
To create a positive and sustainable culture of pluralism in the town of Sharon, Massachusetts. SPN envisions a community where people from diverse groups:
- live together in peace and mutual respect
- feel safe and valued
- retain their group identity while also being part of a larger community
- learn about, interact with, and stand up for each other
- work collaboratively with the community at large for the common good
To fulfill its mission, the SPN works to:
- raise awareness of the value of pluralism, and the strengths and challenges it presents
- support educational programs that further understanding about racial, ethnic, national origin, cultural and religious groups, reduce stereotyping, demystify differences in beliefs, history, and practice, increase empathy between people, and showcase the richness of our diverse cultures
- foster genuine encounter, dialogue, and relationship-building among individuals and groups
- create an inheritance, building a new cycle of leadership to sustain the mission over time
A Steering Committee comprising representatives from SPN Partners, members-at-large, and liaisons to various religious and cultural groups in town meets monthly to oversee SPN’s work.